We’re in Valentine’s Day week (and my birthday week – ahem) and that calls for special treats for your special treat! Anyone can buy a dozen roses and a box of chocolates – borrrrrring! Surprise your honey with a dozen edible roses made from apples.
Apples you say? What might be romantic about an apple? According to Greek mythology, it’s associated with Aphrodite, the goddess of love. According to lore, to throw an apple at someone is to symbolically declare love for that person.
My favorite fact that applies directly to these wonderful apple rose tarts is that the apple tree is in the ROSE family!
One thing to keep in mind – these are so much easier to make than they seem. You must give them a try!
• 2 cortland apples (or your favorite baking apple)
• 1 sheet puff pastry, thawed but cold
• 6 tbsp sugar, divided
• 6 tbsp water
• 1/2 tsp cinnamon
• 4 tbsp butter
1) Cut the apples in half then slice thinly. Place in a saucepan with 2 tbsp sugar and water. Cook on low heat for about 4-5 minutes until soft. Set aside.
2) In a small bowl, combine the remaining sugar and cinnamon. Set aside.
3) Melt the butter. Set aside.
4) Remove the pastry dough from the fridge and roll out on a floured surface to about 1/8” thick and about 24” long. Slice into 12 strips about 2” wide.
5) Making one rose at a time, brush a strip with butter. Sprinkle on a bit of the sugar-cinnamon mixture. Leaving about 1/2” of dough at each end, place apple slices skin-side up on the top half of the strip, overlapping them slightly. Fold over the bottom edge of the apples with the dough. Sprinkle on a bit more sugar-cinnamon mixture. From one end, roll the strip carefully towards the other end. Press the edge and place in a lightly greased muffin tin. Repeat for the remaining 11.
6) Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until the pastry is golden brown.
I can’t say enough good things about these tarts – I literally SANG their praises in the video! Besides being absolutely beautiful, they are the new bouquet of delicious sweetness and buttery-ness! Serve them with ice cream or fresh whipped cream. Drizzle them with melted chocolate and pop open a bottle of bubbly to celebrate love in all it’s amazing forms. They say “I love you” with every bite.